Welcome!


This is where I note my efforts as I try to recreate some old recipes. Most are taken from my small collection of handwritten recipe books which date from the late 1700's to around 1922. I also have a collection of old tatty old recipe books, well thumbed and heavily splashed from years of use. I love all of them.

The old-fashioned very stylised handwriting writing is sometimes difficult to decipher, measurements and cooking instructions are minimal, no tin sizes given. Luckily I enjoy a challenge. Just to complicate things I cook and bake on my wood-fired Rayburn, which can be... unpredictable.

I suspect this blog is less about the food and more about my passion for these lovely old books and the wonderful women who wrote them.


Wednesday 5 May 2021

Hunting for a Recipe

A few years ago I was whizzing through the abebooks website when my eye was caught by the artwork on one of these recipe book covers.   I clicked on the listing, looked at the photographs, and decided to order the book.  

I should state here and now that I am not pro-hunting, so let's not have any nonsense about that.    They are recipe books, plain and simple.

One book grew into a small collection within my general collection.


Originally they were sold to raise funds for the hunts they represented, but that was thirty or forty years ago.  

The recipes are many and varied, often presented in the donor's own handwriting, on their headed notepaper...surely something which people wouldn't dream of allowing these days?    (I have clipped it off this recipe.)



The recipes are many and varied, heavily weighted on the alcohol side.  Take this recipe for 'Batchelors (sic) Nightcap'  Take one bottle of whisky.  Remove cork.  Pour contents into cut glass tumbler.  Half fill.  Add water to taste and consume immediately.  

Ginger Brush - 3/4 dark Barbados rum with 1/4 King's Ginger Liqueur  (sounds delicious) but I am not sure I would like to try the Coleman Mix which is equal measures of cherry brandy and sloe gin, nor do I like the sound of the Percy Special which is equal measures of whisky and cherry brandy.   

A contributor gave her recipe for a concoction to go into her hip flask, she named it: Sabina's Dutch Courage: Half a bottle of Bell's whisky and half a bottle of Tio Pepe sherry - stir and pour.   It goes straight to the head, is tasty and thirst quenching and fills me with courage as I gallop towards an obstacle.  A good drink out of season too - a good slug before putting the bikini on for the first time is a great help.  Sabina.




Most books also contain hints and tips to do with horses and hunting kit.



It is quite a while since I wrote a blog post and goodness have I become rusty.   This small offering has taken almost a week to write.   In the old days I could dash off a post very quickly.  


No comments:

Post a Comment