Welcome!


This is where I note my efforts as I try to recreate some old recipes. Most are taken from my small collection of handwritten recipe books which date from the late 1700's to around 1922. I also have a collection of old tatty old recipe books, well thumbed and heavily splashed from years of use. I love all of them.

The old-fashioned very stylised handwriting writing is sometimes difficult to decipher, measurements and cooking instructions are minimal, no tin sizes given. Luckily I enjoy a challenge. Just to complicate things I cook and bake on my wood-fired Rayburn, which can be... unpredictable.

I suspect this blog is less about the food and more about my passion for these lovely old books and the wonderful women who wrote them.


Tuesday 31 May 2016

Rich, Crumbly and full of Chocolate Chips

Practicality decided what I should bake yesterday.

We needed something indulgent, but practical, which could be enjoyed 'on the go' and which would also please the grandchildren, for it is half-term and they are constantly popping in and out of Parsonage Cottage  hoping for a snack.


I was sorely tempted to have a go at making some 'Hunting Nuts' to a recipe found in one of my Victorian recipe books but decided to save that fun for another time, for they are  flavoured with ginger, which is not to Merry and Hector't taste - yet!  Much safer to stick to good old chocolate chip cookies.



Max adores anything homemade, but if it comes with added chocolate then he is very happy indeed.   Chocolate chip cookies should please them all and will be handy for when the electrician and the plumber come in this week, to finish their work at Cowslip Cottage.

Luckily this recipe makes about five dozen cookies, so plenty to go round.



They are perfect with milk, and also with coffee.tea.


So that is the tea breaks sorted for the next week, now I need to get back to my painting.   Just the hallway, staircase and landing (plus ceilings) and one bedroom to go!




These are delicious but they are high-fat, high sugar, full of chocolate.  If you are on a health-kick, avoiding sugar, fat and chocolate, or are the fat police, then please look away now.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Cream 450g butter with 250g of icing sugar, sift in 500g plain flour and half a tsp salt, mix together with a teaspoonful of vanilla extract, then work in 600g of chocolate chips.

Line your baking trays with parchment, roll up your sleeves, tune into 'The Archer's' or whatever you like to listen to, then make dozens of dough balls.  We like medium sized ones, which take about a generous tablespoonful of dough.   Roll them in your hands, put them on the parchment, flatten a little with a fork.

Bake at 350 degrees for approx 12/15 minutes, or until they are ready.  Cool on a rack.

Store in an airtight tin, they will keep for a long time.


No comments:

Post a Comment